Monday, June 16, 2008

Journey Back to Wisconsin

The journey back home has been bitter sweet. We left our farm in Surprise for the trip back to Mike's homeplace in Wisconsin. Three kids and a weeks worth of luggage including play clothes and nice clothes packed into the minivan and off we went.

This journey would bring us through flooded fields and dry fields as we traveld from Nebraska through Iowa and Minnesota. As we got closer to Wisconsin I could feel the nervousness of Mike.

See his Dad, Rod has cancer. A strong farmer who for so many years has been not only the piller of this family but one who is on top of the latest information in no-till farming and the need for rotational grazing.

In the two months since I have seen Rod, this strong body has been taken over with the side effects of chemo and the need to sleep a lot. Its hard to explain to our three year old Paul that Grandpa can't go on walks to show him the corn growing or to explain to our 8 year old that this certain weed, if left untreated, will take over the field.

Today, a Monday, I saw the gleam in his eye as he talked about his fields and this years crops. But that gleam was bigger as his three grandkids want to show him 4-H projects or just curl up on the bed moved into the living room for his convience.

We are here for a week to help with stuff around the farm. Yes I do miss being on the air this week, but I am enjoying spending some much needed time with my in-laws and helping to build on some memories I can help my kids recall as they get older.

No comments: